Friday, February 24, 2006

Olympics

I just want to get one thing off my chest about the Olympics, especially the winter games. This is perhaps indicative of my penchant for complexity as I do enjoy watching the competition and have tuned in fairly regularly. However, it seems to me that the winter olympics is a celebration of basically the G8 nations playing games that they invented and inevitably excel at. It's like they're saying to the rest of the world, look how great we are! I mean, of course the countries with the most money are going to have the best athletes, so big deal if the US wins X gold medals. The rest of the world are just struggling to get out of debt, they don't have the time or resources to go galavanting around on snow and ice, which are mostly in the G8 countries anyway. Call me cynical, but the winter olympics is somewhat farcical. Having said that, Korea is going to rule the short track tomorrow!

No comments: