Tuesday, January 03, 2006

one post

Another blog is born. Another citizen plugs into the matrix. yahoo!
I don't know if anyone will ever read my blog but I'm doing this because I have to express certain things that I seldom have a context in which to express them. you know what I mean? Also I think it'll be good therapy and whatnot, getting things off your chest so to speak.
I'm still thinking about whether to try to be completely transparent in my ramblings or whether to be guarded about expressing my thoughts to the world. I'm sure there are those who have tried both, please tell me about your experience.

So, I'll start by introducing myself. My name is Tim. I'm 31. I'm Korean-American and I'm currently a builder, which is my euphemism for construction worker. I'm married to my wife HK of three years. We have no children at this point. I enjoy the outdoors. My latest and perhaps last outdoor pursuit is surfing. Past pursuits have included snowboarding, rock climbing, a little mountaineering, and mountain biking. I'm also a thinker. I think I indulge in cognitive exercise more than your average bear. Which is not to brag, certainly, but just recognizing the acts of pondering, imagining, wondering as things I often find myself doing.

I'm a bleeding heart liberal. I say this in all seriousness. I suppose the term has been used not always as a compliment but whatever. I care, okay? I think most people do, they're just not recognizing it for whatever reason. Yes, I care about my fellow human beings. I care about the government and society, I care about suffering and hardship, even if its not my own. I care and I believe humans have the ability if not the responsibility to make things better. Yesterday, my wife and I and a few other travelers saw a poor, presumably homeless guy sitting in a rest area. He was sitting crosslegged, back to the wall, head down with a sign asking for help in the form of food or money. We gave him a few mandarins and a banana. Like others we're conscious of the possibility that if we gave him money, he'd go spend it on another fix of drugs. Who knows. We didn't give him any money. I just wish there was something more I could do to help him. I guess anything worthwhile would've taken more time than I was prepared to spend, but this is something I need to work on.

I don't know what to do, but it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to imagine a society with a strong safety net. I mean, aren't there some places where people don't fall through the cracks into oblivion no matter how bad the choices they made were?

Well, that's enough for now. I hope this experiment keeps working. I mean I hope this blog keeps living.

1 comment:

baloghblog said...

keep blogging, my brother, and "they will come" (cheesy Field of Dreams reference)